How to Spot Hail Damage
Identifying hail damage on your belongings, such as patio furniture or your car, is relatively straightforward. The round dings in metal are obvious signs of hail damage. However, determining whether your roof has sustained damage from a hailstorm may be a little more difficult. It’s important to keep your roof in top condition to avoid structural deterioration that may cause leaks. Many insurance companies will consider paying for a roof that has been damaged by hail, but it must be correctly assessed. Insurance adjusters will require the opinion of a professional roofing contractor before they will consent to the work being done, but you can also check for hail damage yourself before calling a roofer by following these tips.
Search for damage on the metal. Check metal roof vents, flashing or metal valleys on the roof to see if there are any dents. Soft metal will show dents, and also indicate the size of the hail.
Set up a ladder to your roof to examine the top of the roof.
* Check the ridge cap of the roof for dents. This area of the roof will receive the most damage from hail since it is flat and will take a direct hit in a storm.
* Look at the shingles. Check the whole shingle, as well as the edges, for signs of damage. 3 Identify the types of damage caused by hail. The 3 major signs of hail damage include bruising, cracking and granules missing from asphalt.
* Check for missing pieces in the asphalt of the roof. Look for areas on the shingle that have exposed, black substrate. This means the granules of the asphalt have been compromised or knocked off by something.
* Search for bruising in the shingles. Dents from hail are not always completely visible. Run your hand over the shingle to feel for small dimples in the surface. Press 1 of the dimples to see if it has any give. If it does, this is a sign that the shingle has begun some deterioration.
* Look for cracking in the shingle. Large hail can make a circular crack if the hail hits it hard enough.
Spot any damage?
Storms can be hard on your home. K&P is here to restore your home completely.
Louisville, and Kentucky as a whole, is no stranger to extreme weather events and storms. From the great flood of 1937…to the great flood of 2018 and all of the ice, wind, and rain storms in between. Our expert home repair contractors specialize in all types of insurance claims, storm damage and hail damage, and flood damage which can occur to a home of any age. Let us check your roof, siding, and home for any possible damage. K & P Roofing, Siding & Home Improvement, Inc. is available to help you with all of your exterior building needs. We offer full service roofing…tear-offs and re-roofing. Or if you are looking for a maintenance free exterior for your home you have found the right place.
We will gladly evaluate your home’s condition and provide you with a free estimate for any repairs or maintenance that we identify.